[HCoop-Discuss] Site Redesign

Avinash Kulkarni shadowfax at hcoop.net
Tue Mar 15 20:17:49 EDT 2011

Hi Lauren,
The new design looks nice. I do have a few suggestions:

1. The contrast between the green in the background and the font colors
seems to be less. The
 background color is a little distracting, and takes the eyes away from the
text. Either the background
could be a lighter shade, or the text needs to be darker/bolder to stand
out.

2. I think the content on the web page must be much less than what it is
currently - we only want
the page to be perused by people who expect to join, and we perhaps could do
with just telling
them why they should join, along with a link for how to join. A minimalist
message may drive home
the point much faster than having to wait for a info tab to slide into the
view.

The link to join must be bolder for sure - and possibly be something like a
big button near the center of
the screen like so one just can't miss it.

For instance, http://www.mailchimp.com 's design makes the join/sign up
button so prominent. Also,
most of their content is below, and needs to be scrolled into view for
someone who is interested. For
most, the temptation to click on the sign up button right away is too much
to resist :)

Certainly my suggestions are influenced by my own preferences/prejudices, so
please feel free to
ignore them :) I think that over the past few years, webpages have mostly
moved to a "less is more"
interface for at least the home page - the contrast between yahoo's homepage
and google's homepage
for example.

I do like the 'join or die' picture - I think a newcomer(perhaps not so much
for non-US citizens) would
surely find it funny.

Thank you for volunteering to design.

Avinash.