[HCoop-Discuss] Site Redesign

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Wed Mar 2 23:36:20 EST 2011

(changed subject)

Lauren McNees <lauren at hcoop.net> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> wrote:
>
>     If you'd like to work on a better design for the hcoop.org please
>     do. It's one of those things that would be really nice to have
>     hcoop.org is pretty ugly as it is, but that I at least am utterly
>     incapable of.
>
>     If you want to do something about the design just let me know what you
>     need! A good starting place is
>     /afs/hcoop.net/user/h/hc/hcoop/public_html/.
>
> Just to avoid confusion, its hcoop.net not hcoop.org, right? Or is there a
> hcoop.org in the works that I don't know about?

hcoop.net yes.

> What is the hcoop website and members portal currently powered by? Its
> database-driven with css right? If I attempt to create a new look for the
> website, should it just be a simple html/css template type thing that the
> admins could drop the database programming into?

The main page is static html:  ~hcoop/public_html/Makefile generates the
sites by calling a script:

 - `hcoop_html' cats /etc/hcoop.header, the page body, and
   /etc/hcoop.footer together

And the footer closes the <body> and document. We are most certainly
*not* tied to doing things this way--I suspect the static site is
generated this way as a quick hack.

I copied hcoop.{header,footer} into ~hcoop/public_html so that you can
view them.

The domtool manual (http://hcoop.net/domtool/) is automatically
generated by domtool itself. It does, however, use the same css as the
main site so any style improvements to that would apply to the domtool
manual automatically. If needed I can adjust the code that generates the
domtool manual to produce html more amenable to any changes to the
style.

The portal uses MLT which just embeds SML into HTML ala
PHP. http://wiki.hcoop.net/DaemonAdmin/Portal has some information on
how it works--I've only done minimal work on the portal so far and I'll
have to get back to you on the specifics of restyling it. I CCed bpt--at
one point he did hack together a static mockup of a new interface for
the portal so he may be able to assist.

That's the gist of it, I'll start working on a wiki page with more
details soon.

--
"Karen loved animals. Unfortunately the cheetahs betrayed her trust,"
Libot said.