[HCoop-Discuss] Machine reboots Jan 20th

Richard Darst rkd at hcoop.net
Thu Jan 21 03:30:26 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:33:54AM +0530, Tanveer Singh wrote:
> I have proposal. Admins can branch it into a new thread if required.
> All our lists are on hcoop itself. So if hcoop goes down, IRC is the only
> channel of communitcation, and from work etc., its not possible to access
> IRC due to firewall issues.
> So it would be great if we moved the lists to google groups or something
> like that so that when services go down, somebody can holler and a mail gets
> sent to all the admins.

This seems to be a good idea to me.  Do you think a mailing list is
best (should everyone get mail when something happens?  What should
the threshold for mail be: "service down", "working on it", "it's all
up again")?

What about a blog or identi.ca stream?  That way we could post more
frequent updates, and only those interested need check - and could
always subscribe to the rss feeds, and more frequent updates here
would be less annoying to some people.

For those that don't actively follow things on IRC, what would be
useful to you?

> Regarding adding more admins, there are some tasks which may not require
> much technical expertise, for example, rebooting all machines.
> So for that even I can be an admin as I know basic unix and scripting and
> can install a Linux OS on a home machine. But thats the peak of my
> capability.

The current senior admins can see, but this specific thing was more of
an exception with several travelers and me not yet quite added.  And,
rebooting is more complicated than it seems... as we figured out this
morning.

We'll keep trying to involve more people.  I think the most important
thing is to get known by the community.

Thanks for your ideas,

- Richard