[HCoop-Discuss] Dues/Upgrade: Why are you willing to spend what yo u are?

j.c.hallgren at juno.com j.c.hallgren at juno.com
Sat Oct 17 11:35:17 EDT 2009

And I may be one of those handful who have said something as my budget for my site is quite limited. Right now, with the $5 dues, and I am asking $6 donation per month to cover costs, that extra $1 pays for my other expenses (domain registration) so upping it to even $7 would leave me $2 per month in the hole as I can't ask anymore from my donors at this time. I would have to attempt to find another host that more fits with my current budget as HCoop did perfectly when I joined it and dues varies but averaged around $4 month.

If the current costs are $6.06 per mth, then we obviously have to do something to fix that deficit, and I could justify paying $6 until we get some more members to cover that extra $1 again. Ok, so that still doesn't cover the $.06 but unless we want a non-integer amt, then that's the best I can do.

I don't think my site uses an excess of resources (like B/W, Disk) as compared to the highest use sites (some of which uses hundreds of times my usage), but I'll freely admit mine does use a large multiple compared to a nbr of the smaller sites. And yes, I know B/W isn't that much of a cost factor but I think it may relate to how much other resources a site uses which maybe does affect cost and hardware rqmt's.

I don't want to be labeled as a constant complainer about dues, but for me, HCoop has a cost factor presently that I can handle and also some very minor features that I need that may not be available elsewhere so I'd love to stay if I can afford to. Raising dues to something like $10 would force me out in a heartbeat unfortunately.