[HCoop-Discuss] Dues/Upgrade: Why are you willing to spend what you are?

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Fri Oct 16 17:35:19 EDT 2009

Now that I am not as sick I want to ask/clarify a few things.

The dues poll was meant to be fairly ambiguous and intended only to get
an aggregate idea of what coop members were willing to pay. Generally
only two or three people ever say anything in opposition to higher dues
and so I wanted to see what the silent majority thought.

So far a *lot* more people than I expected are ok with dues at
$10/month. Personally I don't want to raise dues above $7/month, but it
is good to know that half of the coop won't jump ship over a modest
increase in dues.

Now, to the people who are not ok with $7+ dues, could you let us know
why? I don't want my plan to silently price people out of the coop for
reasons that could be resolved.

For the people who are ok with higher dues, what do you use/want at
HCoop to justify the increased costs?

I want HCoop to be able to continually offer more to every member as
hardware continues to lower in cost (more disk space for people who want
it, more free RAM per member, etc.) while also painlessly expanding our
membership. Our current cycle (repeating for the third time now) of
having excess resources, hitting capacity, and then having a somewhat
disruptive major upgrade is pretty painful. A small expansion fund would
let us add new servers slightly before absolutely needing them making
expansion much more graceful.

--
Mike: I WAS NOT MICROWAVED.