[HCoop-Discuss] The End?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Fri Nov 20 12:25:01 EST 2009

Clinton Ebadi wrote:
> I am still here but (as i noted to the board and sysadmin list) I am travelling with my old band and have poor connectivity now.

All right.  Perhaps I spoke too soon.

> It is a bit disappointing that we could not muster enough volunteer support to migrate out of Peer1, but we are not in an intolerable position at Peer1 now.

There is still an unresolved thread, started by Brian Templeton,
questioning whether we really want to put off migration.  No one seems
to be taking the lead in organizing a process where it's clear when
we've come to a decision on that.  Perhaps we should just take the
position that the board voted against moving at the last meeting, and so
we should put it off for now in the interests of expediency.  There
really needs to be a clearer,  managed process of coming to such
conclusions, though.  (Or at least _I_ find it stressful not to have
such a process.)

> I don't think things like fixing Apache or SpamAssassin were that trivial--debugging the former was difficult, and setting up the latter required reverse engineering our undocumented setup.

It's an interesting question whether the SpamAssassin problem was so
critical in practice, since it was a simple infinite loop in a web
script that was most responsible for our Apache trouble, not load
problems.  The Apache debugging was the kind of technical puzzle that we
have no trouble mustering volunteers to solve, because lots of us geeks
find that kind of puzzle fun.  Arranging in-person hardware support is
hard, and guiding group decision-making is even harder.

Somewhat off-topic, I hope that in the future you feel free to poke us
admin "old-timers" about idiosyncrasies in our set-up, rather than
spending time reverse-engineering things.