[HCoop-Discuss] The End?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Fri Nov 20 03:50:10 EST 2009

In August, I posted a message suggesting that I would be leaving HCoop
admin/planning responsibilities very soon if there weren't signs that
other people were working to take over the responsibilities assigned to
me.  (I was/am willing to continue [still temporarily] with Domtool
admin, since I have special knowledge of the tool; and treasurer duties,
since I'm set up with official bank account access.)  Frankly, there
have been no signs that this has happened, and I think someone with less
of an emotional commitment to HCoop would have packed up and left already.

A few people have volunteered to take over facilitating decision-making,
but no one has followed through.  It's the "herding cats" element that's
most critical here.  The crucial contribution that I've tired of making
is organizing people to make decisions and get work done in reasonable
time frames.  Upon volunteering to do this kind of organization, the
volunteer is invariably surprised to see that merely starting a mailing
list thread is insufficient to get a decision made.  Where I have always
kept pushing on people to make progress, the recent volunteers for this
role have just faded away into silence.  This is understandable; it's a
thankless role, and I can see why people would want to avoid it.
Nonetheless, we need to accept that HCoop is over unless we find some
way to make decisions without using me as the operating system.

I sent out my first plea of this kind about four months ago, and the
critical issues are still "languishing in the mailing lists," waiting
for some imaginary consensus decision-making process to produce final
plans.  We at least managed to fix the mire Apache DoS problems, but
that turned out to have a simple software solution, of the kind that
geeks have no problem organizing to implement.

So, what do you want to do?  (I think it's important for me to finally
stop writing "we" in connection with HCoop, because that can only lead
people to keep assuming I'll shoulder the same recurring burden.)  I
have to admit that I'll be skeptical of any offers to take over
people-organizing responsibilities, but I still feel like giving people
a chance to offer.