[HCoop-Discuss] VPS hosting for HCoop

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Wed May 20 07:53:41 EDT 2009

Michael Potter wrote:
> Actually I think most agreed that it would probably cost more but would
> solve certain logistical problems.

Let's consider this without staffing costs for the moment, to simplify
things.  I think everyone agrees that, as our number of members
approaches infinity, owning all our own stuff costs less.  However, I
also think that anyone doing an honest accounting will find that it
costs us more to own our own stuff vs. VPSing until we get to several
times more members than we have now.  There are (roughly) fixed costs
like on-hand spare parts that go down per member as we grow, but that
are quite significant to us now.  With a VPS provider, those costs are
amortized against all of their customers.

Amount of effort needed to administer our services is way lower with
VPSes, again until we get to many times more members than we have now.
This translates into lower costs in this category, too, if we pay staff.

I haven't provided detailed analyses to back up my claims, but I do
think we have consensus on their correctness as working theories, so now
you know which common viewpoint to argue against, should you be so inclined.