[HCoop-Discuss] VPS hosting for HCoop

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Tue May 19 17:54:03 EDT 2009

Michael Potter wrote:
> I'm a little suspicious that you're pushing this as an alternative way
> to bring on paid staff by at least partially outsourcing them as the
> staff of a VPS provider.

I'm disappointed that you're accusing me of this.  Do you have any
evidence that _anyone_ involved in this discussion is pushing a secret
agenda?  Simple disagreement is no such evidence.  For someone who
brings up cooperative principles so much, you seem pretty ready to
ignore the basic standard of civility that makes consensus
decision-making possible.

Also, I don't think you ever responded to any of the questions about why
you think paying people to provide services to HCoop is a bad thing.

> On the other hand, another con you missed
> was the problem of finding a VPS provider willing to let us use our own
> kernel.

Linode supports this, though I don't have any experience that allows me
to decide if their support would be enough for our needs:
    http://blog.linode.com/2008/12/23/custom-kernels-with-pv-grub/

> There is also the philosophical angle to consider, whether a co-op
> should move down one tier closer to retail and feed the for-profit
> world. From running all VPSes, it's only one more step to mass
> purchasing a web hosting package from a commercial provider with a group
> discount, and so outsourcing tech support and software configuration. It
> would be more in keeping with the cooperative approach to move UP a
> level and provide its own rackspace. This is not exactly trivial though.

That's certainly true.  I wrote it before, but it's worth repeating, for
anyone interested in my personal position: I weight quality of service
far ahead of our degree of support for particular kinds of businesses.
In fact, I consider small businesses like Linode to be no worse off,
philosophically, than co-ops, and I consider for-profit businesses to
have significantly higher expected quality of service.  I think HCoop
should exist because it isn't very profitable to provide the kinds of
neat niche stuff that our members want.

The degree to which particular ideologies influence co-op
decision-making will be decided by board votes.  From discussion on this
list, I get the impression that only a minority of members have any
particular preference for supporting other co-ops and other
"less-businessy-than-usual" organizations, so I expect that we will end
up favoring that position in decision-making.  It might be useful to
take some kind of official poll, though.