[HCoop-Discuss] On organizing people to get work done

Daniel Margolis dan at af0.net
Sat May 9 17:49:23 EDT 2009

We should also compare with Linode/Slicehost, which seem a bit cheaper
than Amazon (and a bit more traditional in terms of what you pay and
what you get).

At Linode machine with 2.8GB of RAM, 128GB of storage, and 1600GB of
transfer is $160/month, which is a lot cheaper than the below EC2
configuration, though significantly less storage, etc.

Mire seems to only have ~5GB RAM and, if I'm reading the output of df
right, like 20GB for the OS install and 8GB on AFS, so the above Linode
configuration seems still suitable.

Additional, lower powered machines for failover or other services (e.g.
dedicated shell, web, mail, or whatever) are as cheap as $20/month,
depending on configuration.

I believe you can also do nonrouteable addressing between virtual hosts
for free (i.e., without it counting against your quota), meaning you
could have one large virtual machine with a lot of storage as an AFS
server and other, smaller machines as clients.

A table like this might be useful:

		Current		Linode
Transfer:	1TB		1.6TB
Disk:		28GB?		128GB
Memory: 	5GB		2.8GB
CPU: 		Opteron 1.6GHz	? (>= 1/5th of some server-class machine)
Cost/month:	? 		$160

Feel free to fill in with alternatives (e.g. Amazon) and correct the
above information.

Dan