[HCoop-Discuss] On organizing people to get work done

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Fri May 8 12:02:08 EDT 2009

Daniel Margolis wrote:
> What makes it clear that the users paying the minimum are being
> subsidized? Is the monthly cost of 122MB of disk usage and hardly any
> CPU or bandwidth really over $3? On Amazon, that much storage and
> equivalent transfer is $0.09/month. I think I'm subsidizing you.
>
> On 5/7/2009 4:20 PM, David Snider wrote:
>
>> This is the problem I've always had with this 'share' type scheme. The
>> users paying the rock bottom price tend to get pissed when the true cost of
>> the services are no longer subsidized.

You need to take into account the black box of costs that is the rate
Peer 1 charges us.  What calculations are you using to determine your
fair share of that?  I'm guessing that most of the Peer 1 rate covers
staff and physical space.  All member storage together takes up a
negligible fraction of that space.  Do you have a better scheme to
suggest than splitting Peer 1 costs evenly, in the absence of a clear
idea of how each member's usage contributes to that cost?  Currently, an
even split leaves each member with a share over $5.

I'm not saying that we can't rearrange our hardware situation to lower
costs, but to me it's clear that, yes, with our current hardware set-up,
any member paying only $5/mo. is being subsidized.