[HCoop-Discuss] On organizing people to get work done

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu May 7 17:23:13 EDT 2009

Lauren McNees wrote:
> Even if your $2000/month for 1/2 time work is a reasonable estimate, I
> think we're going to have a hard time selling a 100% increase to
> $10/month to hcoop members. My opinion is that its reasonable to set
> new member dues at $7-8, and recommend but not require that existing
> members upgrade to $7-8, and also do some more outreach/marketing to
> attract new members.

Well, depending on how many members leave, we can still come out ahead
finances-wise if a dues increase prompts a semi-mass exodus.  If we
double dues and fewer than half of members leave, we still end up with
more income per month.  Of course, we'd rather keep as many members as
we can, but it's not like losing, say, 20 members would strike me as a
reason to avoid a dues hike.

> Does anyone know what our membership growth rate is currently?

I think it's about "a few new members a month, with about half that
amount leaving each month."

> Another idea: what about starting with a quarter-time person?

That and other lower-commitment/lower-cost options seem like very
reasonable ways to get started.