[HCoop-Discuss] On organizing people to get work done

Daniel Margolis dan at af0.net
Thu May 7 15:59:01 EDT 2009

Why should/do people choose HCoop over, say, Dreamhost? For me, it's
mostly about price--most hosting services that offer the featureset
HCoop offers also offer far more resources (bandwidth and disk space)
than I need and, hence, cost significantly more.

That doesn't mean that those commercial services don't offer an
equivalent or lower unit cost than we do--especially if we are to take
on paid employees (as we ought to to have comparable service), we should
assume that the operating expenses of someone like Dreamhost are
significantly lower (no?).

So at least from my perspective, I think the economic advantage of HCoop
is that by purchasing in bulk (essentially), we allow individual users
to buy in very small purchases (i.e., I can get a hundred megs of disk
and similar amounts of bandwidth for a $3 a month, rather than 500GB of
storage at Dreamhost for $10/month--notice that Dreamhost's unit costs
are still lower, though).

Given that argument (which might be faulty?), a VPS or similar
arrangement might allow us to preserve our big economic advantage
(allowing individual members to buy smaller shares at bulk rates)
without having to compete with very large commercial providers on
maintaining low overheads.

I agree with you, Adam, that we can't maintain an equivalent level of
service solely with volunteer staff, but it seems unlikely to me that
we're going to have operating expenses that are as low as large
for-profit competitors', either. Our biggest selling points are offering
power-user features and allowing collective purchasing.

(In fact, I'd be cool with just buying the cheapest Dreamhost
offering--which isn't even a VPS--and splitting it with a few other
people.)

That argument aside, I think paid staff is itself a good idea (assuming
HCoop continues to operate in the current manner), and that we should,
as you intimated in your original email, formally define an SLA for
member service response time, bug fix turnaround, software version
updating, and new infrastructure projects. If we are to pay for
non-volunteer services, we should be clear what we expect to get back.