[HCoop-Discuss] On organizing people to get work done

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu May 7 15:19:43 EDT 2009

Chris Fallin wrote:
> What are the estimated costs for paid staff?

Beats me.  I would like to start some serious investigations into these
sorts of figures.  This list thread is a precursor to figuring out
exactly what we ought to investigate.

> Do we intend to hire the
> equivalent of a full-time employee or only part of one?

I don't we need more than one half-time person (or multiple people
adding up to that level of coverage), with the exception of emergency
response.  Ideally, we'd have someone on call at any particular time,
and hopefully we'd have few enough disasters that people would accept
reasonably low pay for such positions.

> Do we have
> room in the budget and, if not, by how much would dues have to
> increase to cover the gap?

We have negative room in the budget for new expenses, so this would
definitely mean significant dues increases.

> If the dues increase, I am opposed to this: the attraction of HCoop
> (for me, at least) is that it is cheap because we pool our resources
> and have little overhead. It seems to me right now that it would be
> very hard to pay for an employee with the scale and budget at which we
> operate. I'd love to be proved wrong, though.

HCoop will always remain cheap insofar as cheapness comes from pooling
resources.  However, some of our "low overhead" is phantasmal, since it
comes from heroic donations of time by volunteers.  Over the last few
years, the size of the set of people willing to volunteer has been
decreasing steadily (even as the member base has grown significantly),
and the enthusiasm and time commitment of those who remain has also been
decreasing.

The impact of this has been clear in our inability to implement any
improvements to services, period, even to get up to basic levels that
half of the members could get going in new machines in their basements
in a day.  We've been lucky in our lack of serious data/hardware
disasters, but the inadequacy of our staffing could definitely be
revealed very clearly by such an occurrence.  Like I said in my last
reply (to Michael Potter), I suggest that you may not be realizing how
little you're getting now for your $5/mo..

I recognize that members have different price sensitivities.
Unfortunately for those of you who are very price sensitive, you depend
on the volunteered time of others who tend to be disproportionately
price-insensitive and demanding of their hosting providers.  Anyone who
can do the kinds of admin things that happen at HCoop can be doing
pretty well for himself monetarily in the commercial IT world, so such
people tend to be quite willing to fork over extra dollars for better
service.  Maybe HCoop should split into two separate organizations based
on price sensitivity, but, ironically, I believe that all or almost all
of the qualified volunteer admins would choose the more expensive side
of the fork, leaving the pie-in-the-sky, low-price contingent with no
one left to keep supplying the magic that keeps prices low.

I use HCoop for a broad slice of all of my data storage and computing
needs.  I'm willing to pay for reliability.  I'm also embarrassed by the
low quality of our service ATM.  These factors combine to leave me
pretty sure that, by a year from now, I won't be involved with any HCoop
that doesn't have paid staff and charge significantly higher dues than
we do now.