[HCoop-Discuss] Reorganizing, people-wise and tech-wise

François-Denis Gonthier neumann at lostwebsite.net
Fri Jun 26 16:59:09 EDT 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:39:05 -0400
Brian Templeton <bpt at hcoop.net> wrote:

> Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:
>
> > [...] I think the costs of AFS and distributed systems magic in
> > general are outweighing the benefits. [...]
>
> I am strongly opposed to migrating away from AFS. Network filesystems
> are extremely useful, and I don't know of any others that could meet
> all of our requirements that aren't experimental. AFS may not quite be
> "commodity", but it's used in _huge_ installations and we know it can
> scale with us as we grow.

I agree AFS is very useful, that it can scale beyond.  I don't doubt
it's quality.  The problem is that there isn't enough knowledgeable AFS
administrator in the coop that are willing to give time to keep the
install at a decent quality level.

The recent outage show it's not working quite good enough yet.  I would
not be annoyed by the recent problems with AFS if someone could tell me
what they were and how we plan to avoid them in the future.  That
doesn't to be the case.

I don't see any way out of this that would help us keep AFS.  If such a
way exists then I'm all for sticking with it.