[HCoop-Discuss] Our ideal architecture?

Davor Ocelic docelic at hcoop.net
Tue Jun 2 20:46:05 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:59:39 -0400
David Snider <david at davidsnider.net> wrote:

> Here are my main concerns with OpenVZ:
>
> 1) Kernel patch gone wrong. Instead of taking down one server it
> takes down many.

Well here's what I think about this point. I'd like to stay practical,
not guard against *potential* errors of this kind.

Personally (related to openvz or otherwise), I am not interested in
worrying about problems in someone's kernel driver, because I believe
that that stuff should be taken care of by upstream authors, that their
stuff should work, and not be a deciding factor for us.

Things needed to support openvz are, if I'm not mistaken, part of
the mainline kernel and do not require a separate patch. Besides,
openvz, Xen, or anything else has portion of kernel code which may
go wrong.

There are so many things in the kernel that might go wrong that it's
a flawed strategy to think this way. If we were discussing use of,
for example, Ext3 vs. SGI xfs, you could also ask "How can we prevent
bugs in Ext3?"... Well, we can't, we take past track record and
existing evidence to deduce that it'll work for us like it's been
working for others.

Your concern could be applied to all software components, kernel or
not-- and so, as long as we're talking about stable software releases
(which we are), it should not be a factor that counts either way.

> 2) I think we should design our systems with the potential to let
> users host their own non-debian Guests. If done correctly we wouldn't
> need to officially support them any more than we support people's
> custom daemons now.

We could offer non-debian (but linux) guests with openvz,
kernel does not mandate the Linux distribution.

(Assuming that users would take over the maintenance of their
non-Debian guest, because we never discussed nor volunteering
nor paid staff who'd be handling multiple platforms.)

But this is too far to envision for me, as I am about 100% sure that
everything we have would have to be changed to support this
(including all our hardware, existing admin team and overall HCoop
design principles).

Instead of trying to be everything to everyone, we need to limit
the number of areas we're covering, and then do them well.

And so if we're not talking about non-linux guests, this even goes
in favor of openvz.

> 3) What do we lose by going with Xen?

Primarily, three things:

- I don't like the overhead it is adding; booting whole bios emulation
etc, to run a system that's effectively the same as the host, is a
waste.

- Setup, administration and use of openvz is simpler.

- I don't remember exactly (you're welcome to correct me), but I think
Xen is an image you can't mount and access the files from host OS
(at least not while the VM is running), while with openvz, you see
the container's files directly on the base fileystem, such as

/var/lib/openvz/private/104/etc/hosts

Actually, to conclude, I am not convinced that this whole talk about
VMs is going in the right direction, or at least we didn't set the
foundation right.

Because, if we were to use virtualization for our internal organization
purposes (sandboxing etc.), then this needs to be lightweight solution
in style of openvz.

Or, if we were looking towards providing VMs for members (like Tech.Coop
is providing us for hosting secondary DNS on a separate subnet), then
this brings a whole set of new problems that we did not discuss.

For example, if we were to give out VMs to members, I don't see ANY
advantage that HCoop would have compared to any other VM provider.

Our infrastructure or offering would be at the bottom of any random
set of providers you'd compare us with.

We're paying mere $40/month for a VPS at Tech.Coop; they're by
no means the only choice in this performance/price range, and their
reliability so far has been basically 100%.

Drop in your comments.

Cya,
-doc