[HCoop-Discuss] Our ideal architecture?

David Snider david at davidsnider.net
Tue Jun 2 12:08:47 EDT 2009

KVM versus Xen:
http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid94_gci1318772,00.html

http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=415

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Open_Topics_For_Discussion?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Quantitative+Comparison+of+Xen+and+KVM.pdf

So, KVM is a part of linux. It uses Linux memory management and scheduling
which has the advantage of being able to quickly swap guests in and out
without rebooting. You can also see guest OS's as regular processes in the
host OS and use top,kill, etc to manage them. Of course, this means that it
has weaker isolation.

Xen is an independent layer from the host operating system. It acts as a
true hypervisor. Guest processes scale linearly with the number of guest
OS's. According the the 3rd link KVM guests start crashing after 4 guests.

If I had to make a decision right now I'd go with Xen.