[HCoop-Discuss] Idea to get regular users more involved with the nuts-and-bolts of HCOOP

Davor Ocelic docelic at hcoop.net
Tue Jun 2 04:50:24 EDT 2009

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Shaun Empie <shaun at vpit.net> wrote:
>
> > I really like this idea as well.  This is along the lines of what I
> > was thinking in a previous email I sent.  I think every member
> > needs to be involved in the running of the coop.  We could make
> > committees like marketing, documentation, web server, email server,
> > architecture, etc. Everyone would have to be on one.  The group
> > would work together and decide on changes and the person leading
> > the committee could either make the changes or pass them along to
> > an admin.
> >
> > Having over 100 members rely on the work of a couple volunteers
> > doesn't seem like a coop to me.
> >
> > -Shaun

Hola,

Right, it's sure be better if more folks participated. For example,
the discussion about paid staff emerged only after seeing that we
can't draw the needed resources from the members base. But it is
what it is, I have a positive impression about it.

I mean, it depends how you look at it; in HCoop, no one's forcing
anyone to do anything, and we're still rollin'. That's a success in
my eyes.

> > David Snider wrote:
> > > I was thinking more along the lines of somebody figuring out how
> > > to get XYZ Web Framework running within our setup, writing
> > > down the steps and then handing it over to an Admins for
> > > implementation. Not to actually re-upload
> > > the images. It's a bit of a timesaver in that we don't have to
> > > rely on Admins to figure everything out for us.

That could work, but like Adam I don't currently have the resources
to participate in that.

As far as our configuration goes, the part that is not
access-protected can already be seen by members, and if someone
wants to peek at our configs that are protected, that can be
arranged as well. (Basically I'd just remove the secret info and
leave the rest of data as-is).

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:04:36 -0700
Lauren McNees <lauren at hcoop.net> wrote:

> I like the idea of having committees for any member to be on, but not
> mandatory ones. With mandatory participation we will lose members. I
> recommend creating an incentive, where members on a committee pay
> slightly lower dues than non-participatory members.

Without devoting actual thinking to it, my first impression is that
this type of incentive would not be healthy for HCoop, long term
at least.

Cya,
-doc