[HCoop-Discuss] how do I add options to a poll that I have created?

John T. Settino john at johnsettino.com
Fri Jul 31 09:58:44 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 8:55 am, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> ketti wrote:
>>  On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Adam Megacz<megacz at hcoop.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  So, basically, there is no way to start a poll immediately unless it
>>>  has no options.
>>>
>>>  The only way for a poll to have options is to have it start tomorrow,
>>>  then add the options between poll-creation-time and poll-start-time.
>>>
>>>  That is pretty darned counterintuitive.
>>>

>>  Yes it is.
>>
>>  Being allowed to add options while the poll is active will possibly
>>  invalidate votes made before the change though. (Adding options before
>>  anyone has voted might be ok, but it would make it a race to finish
>>  creating the poll before anyone votes ^_^)
>>
>>  Preferably adding options should be part of the creation process.
>>
>>  Concrete change proposal:
>>
>>  * In the 'Create a Poll' form, add a field called 'Number of options'.
>>  * Rename the button 'Create' into 'Next' or 'Continue' or similar.
>>  * Add another page (page B) after the button is pressed.
>>  * Display on page B all data that has been entered in the previous
>> from.
>>  * Add fields for the options on page B.
>>  * Add a button called 'Create' on page B.
>>  * Possibly also add a button 'Cancel' on page B, but just walking away
>>  should accomplish the same thing.
>>  * Possibly add buttons to add/remove options on page B.
>>

> What about a simpler proposal: each poll has a "ready" bit.  The
> creator
> can edit as long as "ready" isn't set.  He can also set "ready," which
> leaves him unable to make further changes.

That is definitely a step in the right direction!
Addendum to the logic: if the user has set "ready" but the start date
for the poll hasn't yet come, allow him to "unready" to make changes.
Ready should be able to be set prior to the poll going "live" if the
start date is in the future. If the user sets today as the start date
and then "ready"s the poll, it goes live at that moment with no more
changes.