[HCoop-Discuss] Filesystem poll results

Richard Darst rkd at hcoop.net
Wed Jul 29 23:30:57 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 04:11:29PM -0400, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> You can find the current results of the filesystem poll here:
>     https://members.hcoop.net/portal/poll?id=21
>
> As of the time I'm writing this, 42 out of 137 members have voted.  They
> chose as follows:
>
> 20: A local filesystem
> 13: A networked/distributed filesystem
> 9: No opinion

I really think we should go back a ways.  I think we are asking
questions in the wrong order.

It seems we should first ask "do we have enough people to support a
network filesystem".  Various people imply they could/would help, but
I've never seen (granted, i've only been in hcoop two months) a
definite call to action to make use of their skills.

So: Who would like to step up to help run an AFS setup for hcoop?

How about we give a new AFS team a bit to try to see how well we can
solve our current problems.  The problems may just be
misunderstandings or miscommunications.  However, the appearance of
more people helping out will help much.

We don't need to decide our filesystems this instant.  It might guide
our hosting decision, but doesn't have to be done *now*.

If it turns out that the new team can't reassure people, then that
makes the decision easy.  And it's not an AFS problem, as much as a
"not enough people" problem.  If not enough people step up to help
out, then defacto saying hcoop doesn't want to support it.

I'm sure Megacz will be more than happy to help new volunteers learn
about our current setup.

Of course, another question is: "would we accept new people as AFS
admins?"  It's possible hcoop needs to think how to more heavily draw
from our pool of possible admins.  I completely understand the
argument why we can't just go taking anyone immediately.  But perhaps
we should find ways to give intermediate permissions, such as more
with full read access, or test setups, or ...

Anyway, that is what I think: the focus of the discussion isn't going
the most useful direction right now, but if we focus on what people
want to do, instead of what they don't want to do, then we'll do much
better.

So, if you'd be willing to help with AFS, let it be known and we'll
see how many "yes, I'll help" votes we get.

- Richard

p.s.: Abstractly I'm willing to help, but don't know how much time
I'll have.  But I can try to help organize stuff.