[HCoop-Discuss] Filesystem poll results

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 21:36:52 EDT 2009

On 30/07/2009, at 11:21 AM, Brian Templeton wrote:

> Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:
>> To me, "no opinion" should be interpreted to mean that these members
>> would only want/benefit from a networked filesystem that improved
>> some
>> aspect of our infrastructure that isn't directly visible to members.
>> Probably people who skipped voting are disproportionately unlikely to
>> have explicit preferences for any features beyond the bare-bones
>> UNIX stuff.
>
> This is nonsensical. You might as well interpret it to mean that
> they're
> happy enough with the status quo and that they'd prefer keeping AFS to
> putting up with the service interruptions and extra work that would be
> required to transition back to non-networked filesystems.

I agree somewhat with Brian - don't interpret my no-opinion as a
preference for a local filesystem. I wanted to indicate don't-know,
not don't-care. Remember there was an 'abstain' option. Perhaps I
should have used that. :-/

My concern is that if you stick my stuff on a VM (or whatever) and my
co-inhabitants blow it up, it may take a while to resurrect, and/or I
may lose some data. (I may not be able to rescue some data.) Also if
HCoop goes national/global, does my data get distributed as well?

I fail to see how such infrastructural aspects are not visible to
members, though I grant they may not be critical to most.

For what it's worth, I'd prefer a maintainable, distributed
filesystem. My no-opinion reflects Adam C's argument that that either
doesn't exist or cannot be maintained with volunteer labour. The poll
question was too coarse.

Probably not a helpful opinion, sorry.

John - I took Adam M's posiiton to be that a lot of problems get
dumped on AFS that aren't actually AFS's fault. Apparently some of
those arguments are zombies, coming back time and again, hence his
noises of frustration. I don't otherwise disagree with your points.

cheers
peter