[HCoop-Discuss] Final Hardware List

Davor Ocelic docelic at hcoop.net
Tue Dec 15 13:41:49 EST 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:20:16 -0500
Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:

> Richard Darst wrote:
> > Is there any reason to not go ahead with the server purchase?
>
> I don't know.  I'm not making the call.

Ok, so the server specs are agreed. To Clinton's
list we only need to add the rails from Dell as well.

Here's the complete list for completeness, and that the person making the
order needs to consult. All items listed as they appear on the buying/
configurator page:

1) Hardware from Dell:

 - PowerEdge 2970 ($1194) [server]
   - 2x Quad Core AMD Opteron™ 2372HE 2.1GHz 4x512K Cache 1Ghz HyperTrnsprt
   - 8GB (4x2GB), 800MHz, Dual Ranked
   - No Operating System & other OS-related stuff
   - 1x6 Backplane for 3.5-inch Hard Drives
   - Rack Chassis w/Sliding Rapid/Versa Rails and Cable Management Arm,Universal
   - Integrated SAS/SATA No RAID
   - SAS 6/iR Integrated, x6 Backplane
   - Integrated SAS/SATA No RAID, SAS 5/i, SAS6i/R Integrated
   - 2x 160GB 7.2K RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive
   - Redundant Power Supply with Dual Cords
   - Appropriate power cords (I can't tell from looking at choices)
   - Active ID Bezel
   - No software options
   - Dual Embedded Broadcom® NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit Ethernet NIC
   - No storage options
   - No CD/DVD, floppy, keyboard
   - No virtualization
   - Free documentation

** Server Cost (w/o shipping): $1712

URL:http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket_retrieve.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&itemtype=CFG&cart_id=1007032700001&toEmail=clinton@unknownlamer.org

(Note: NOT the exact URL; options on it need to be adjusted as detailed
above!)

2) Disks from Newegg:

 - 2x 1 TB Western Digital

** Disks Cost (w/ free shipping): $320

This brings us to:

** Total Cost: $1712 + $320 = $2032 + Dell shipping

NOTES:

Without redundant power supply, the rest of the configuration (WITH
rails) was priced by Dell configurator at $1411, which is about $50
cheaper than Clinton initially found. (The real positive difference is
actually $50 + $250 for rails which = $300, so it could be we're getting
some holiday discount).

But I have included redundant power supply because I think it
was only an omission it wasn't included already, and that adds $300.

Please add your comments if you have any as this is the final hardware
list which I expect we want the person actually buying the server to follow
precisely, so I'm also cross-posting to -sysadmin.

Cya,
-doc