[HCoop-Discuss] Finalizing Hardware Upgrade

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sun Dec 6 08:29:10 EST 2009

Clinton Ebadi wrote:
> Here we go:
> * Server
>
> PowerEdge 2970
>   - 2xQuad Core Opteron 2372HE (2.1GHz / 4x512K L2)
>   - 8G RAM (4x2G 800MHz DDR / Dual Ranked)
>   - 2x160G primary drives
>
> http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket_retrieve.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&itemtype=CFG&cart_id=1009535751820&toEmail=clinton@unknownlamer.org
>
> The ship date does not look promising, but I might be able to fiddle
> with the config a bit to move the date up.
>
> Cost: $1812
>
> * Drives
>
> 3xSeagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3750330NS 750GB
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148295
>
> These a bit pricier than the other 750G drives, but they have a five
> year warranty.
>
> Cost: $130 each ($390)

Then I guess I should order these shipped to Peer 1 ASAP?  Most vendors
would not allow me to order anything with our debit card, if it is to be
shipped to anywhere besides the address on the card.  Recall that our
recent purchases have all been made by local people, shipped to their
home addresses (which are attached to their credit cards).  I can try to
pay directly for these items.  I'm optimistic that I'll be able to work
something out with Dell, because they're such a behemoth.  NewEgg might
fall into the same category, to a lesser degree; I forget the details of
our past experiences with them.  In any case, this is going to be a pain.

We should be prepared to learn that someone in the NYC area will need to
pay for one or both of these at first.