[HCoop-Discuss] Looking for new colo providers

Richard Darst rkd at hcoop.net
Sat Aug 22 14:33:27 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 02:11:14PM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:

> http://wiki.hcoop.net/OurHistory/ColocationPlansServiceProviders
> http://wiki.hcoop.net/OurHistory/ColocationProvidersEvaluation

Here is what I see from looking at these.  Note that all of this data
is about three years old.

- Peer1
  - Seems to have been selected primarily for quality of the
    connection and proximity to members.  Quality of the connection is
    still good, but proximity to members needs work (I think we can
    make it happen, though.  There are many potential members in NYC.)

- HE.net
  - could give us the remote hands service we would like, at the price
    we want (free for basic things, $125/hour for more advanced
    things, 24/7, and so on)
  - $300/month 1Mbps, $500/month 5Mbps.  It sounds like this includes
    7U of rack space (does it?)
  - One offer they had was in Freemont, CA (not that far from some
    members, but not as convenient as our current location in NYC.)

- Switch and Data
  - Has NYC locations: it wouldn't be as hard to move all of our
    current equipment to a new provider (one painful night, instead of
    having to ship or buy new)
  - One listed offer says $625/month for a half cabinet, very close to
    our current location.
  - Their website says they offer remote hands 24/7.  But, I can't see
    the price.
  - Does anyone have their full quotes ?

Do any more senior members know more about these details?

I would imagine that we could at least beat these offers three years
later.  Any thoughts on this?

- Richard