[HCoop-Discuss] The future of HCoop

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Tue Aug 18 13:12:50 EDT 2009

Franklin Gordon Bynum wrote:
> This group is something really special to me, and I know it is to many of you.  It's not just a host, it's a community.  I added a domain for my new law practice and Davor sent along a congratulatory note when he added it.  Justin Leitgeb, someone I never met, went from a name on the listserv to a face on the train to a friend down the block after he moved to Brooklyn.
>
> This isn't about cheap hosting.  It's about opting-out of the ad-saturated, overpriced, over-hyped, for-profit corporate hosting game.  (And for that matter, the high-end, overpriced, for-profit hosting game.)

Heartily agreed. I hope we can get the actual cooperative element going
to an extent large enough that you and I would want to move our online
presences back to HCoop.

> To that end, I will take it upon myself to straighten out our treasurer situation

I think everything is working fine now on that front. I'm quite willing
to stay in that role for another year, if needed, if it's clear that
progress is being made towards a set-up where the work of running HCoop
is genuinely being split among more than two people. (Or maybe one
person who is paid enough to not mind putting in lots of time, as later
posts in this thread suggest.) Handling the money situation is mostly
rote tasks; it's human management and sysadmin tasks that are the real
hot potato.