[HCoop-Discuss] ipv6 native hosting?

Daniel Verkamp daniel at drv.nu
Thu May 8 15:01:14 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Nathan Kennedy <ntk at hcoop.net> wrote:
> Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>> I am quite interested in finding some form of hosting with native IPv6
>> upstream connections. Is hcoop.net in any position to support IPv6 at
>> the moment?
>>
> Definitely not at the moment or presently in the works.  I don't think
> Peer1 offers IPv6 at our current site, and you're the first person to
> ask about this, so given the overhead and duplication involved in IPv6
> administration I don't see it happening until IPv6 gets substantial
> market penetration in the consumer market.  We do go out of our ways to
> set users up who want to use cool technologies but native IPv6 is
> something else altogether.  Even the great majority of high-end routers
> on the market can't do IPv6 in hardware.
>
> -Nathan

For what it's worth, I'd be interested in IPv6 hosting as well.

A bit of a rant here: nobody in the consumer market will bother with
IPv6 until there are things to do with it, and nobody will host things
on IPv6 until consumers have IPv6 support, so we have the classic
chicken-and-egg problem.  I think it's important that IPv6 become more
widespread in the near future, and I think hcoop is in a nice position
to help break this cycle, since we're already oriented toward "cool
technologies" and power users.

As a possible short-term solution, we could use 6to4 or some tunnel
service if native IPv6 is not available.  I don't know the
implications of using any particular tunnel or 6to4 relay for a large
hosting service, but if demand for IPv6 support is low at first, it
would probably be fine, at least for testing the waters.

Anyway, if anybody's counting, take this as another "vote" for IPv6 support.

-- Daniel Verkamp

P.S. Google is now available over IPv6 - http://ipv6.google.com/ :)