[HCoop-Discuss] Deposit/balance policies

Michael Potter mpotter at hcoop.net
Sat Jan 5 16:05:52 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 14:51 -0500, Nathan Kennedy wrote:
> I don't think that users should consider the deposit overdraft
> protection, even if it may ultimately function as that.  More
> importantly it secures the co-op against nonpaying members, to the
> benefit of everyone who does pay.  There are other ways that someone
> could rack up a debt besides nonpayment of course; for instance a
> runaway script that eats up bandwidth that goes over our allowance, etc.
>
> -ntk

I agree, a positive balance should be enforced rather than make paying
members carry dead weight. As someone who can be forgetful, I'd be glad
of a freeze-drying process in the event of any mishaps.

I've been using the nag messages as a reminder to add more funds, which
causes me to go over and under the minimum. Any chance we could get a
"one more month and you're under the minimum" nag? Is the current
message system scripted or manually-done?

I assume you mean steps like the following:

1. ~4x the monthly charge - Nag message to add funds or risk going under
the minimum at the next billing and getting your account frozen

2. ~3x the monthly charge - Warning message that you're under the
minimum and your account will be frozen within 24 hours if you don't add
funds (then freeze account and notify)

3. ~2x monthly charge - Warning message that account is frozen stating
that you have ~2 months until permanent account deletion

4. ~1 monthly - Repeated warning message of permanent account deletion
in one month

5. Negative balance - Account deletion

Michael