[HCoop-Discuss] Deposit/balance policies

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Jan 5 10:18:00 EST 2008

> Davor Ocelic wrote:
> Now that I think of it, this does suggest starting the freeze-drying at
> the point of balances less than deposits of 3 months' dues, so that we
> never bill members amounts that we're not sure they will ever pay.  If
> we amend the bylaws to let us boot people for below-deposit balances,
> not just negative, after 3 months, then we could have a nice financial
> picture indeed.  We might also consider shortening the period while
> amending the bylaws anyway, which would let members have lower deposits
> on hand.

This is logically EXACTLY the same as requiring a refundable deposit of
three months dues, and booting after three months of negative balances,
which I had suggested in my original email, and is already encoded in our
bylaws without any amendment--it's why they were written this way.  If it
was easier to implement this as a "minimum balance" then we can do it that
way; there is no difference--one way members have a separate account for
their deposit, the other way it is just added into their regular balance.
It's just a matter of what is easier for people to understand or for us to
implement.