[HCoop-Discuss] [docelic,ntk] Balances policy

docelic docelic at mire.hcoop.net
Sun Feb 24 13:23:17 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 01:00:38PM -0500, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> OK, let's try this again, and hopefully come to a conclusion that we act
> on this time. :-)
>
> We want to change our handling of member balances to avoid letting
> members slip into delinquency.  After discussion on this list
> previously, it sounds like the board might approve this plan:
>
> - Every member is required to have a deposit with us equal to estimated
> three months' dues at the lowest pledge level.  At current pledge
> levels, this is approximately $15, and it should go down automatically
> when expenses stay the same but membership grows.
> - When any member's balance (now not counting the deposit) goes
> negative, we start trying to get his attention by disabling some subset
> of his services yet to be determined.

I understand that we must take down member's services when he reaches
a balance of 0. (Otherwise the deposit would make
no difference, and we couldn't claim that receiving a few e-mail notices
about your low balance would be a factor motivating enough to always keep the
balance above 0).

BUT, can we solve the following two problems:

 - allow members who pay $10 or $20 at a time to reach their $15 deposit
   over time, and not at once?

   Maybe we don't need special code for this, and could simply grant
   this individually to members who ask.

 - allow new members to pay $10 like now
   and test-drive HCoop for 45 days.
   After which they can choose whether they want to become full-time
   members and pay $15 deposit + at least another month.

   This would work nicely in combination with the portal code which does not
   allow them to vote in that period.

-doc