[HCoop-Discuss] Wiki pages, spam hassle, members data and more...

Michael Olson mwolson at hcoop.net
Sun Feb 24 01:46:04 EST 2008

Steve Taylor <staylor at ncf.ca> writes:

> These are ideas, suggestions; some are repeats; some may already exist
> (that's my error).

Here's an attempt to address some of the technical points.  Some of this
looked interesting on the first read, but you lost me on that first read
by mixing technical and social issues.

> Can hcoop members add wiki pages? Can we establish consistent names
> and or wiki sections for
> - Discussion sub-pages

Discussion pages are implemented in ikiwiki, which we are tentatively
going to switch to for wiki software at some point in the future.  IIRC,
the latest version of MoinMoin has them too.  I'm still thinking about
how to coordinate the upgrade process for that new version with members;
there's usually some upgrade code that has to be run on the wiki
content.

See the bottom of <http://wiki.hcoop.net/DomTool/Examples>.

> - Features members would like to see added (/removed)

That's usually done by filing bug reports against the Domtool component
on bugzilla.

> To reduce the spam hassle can we have
> - an established system like pre-made filters a user can copy, put in
>   ~/.forward to separate hcoop list mail from the spam

Simple spam-filtering examples exist in /etc/skel.

>   - e.g. send hcoop list mail to address 1, other to address 2
>   - allow address 2 to be the webmail interface but make it clear that
>     mail older than 30 days, and overflow, will be discarded forever

What does the webmail interface have to do with mail delivery?

Discarding email automatically is a tricky thing to convey to a user.  I
just use a custom cron script for it.  It's not obvious how to
generalize it.

> How can you show coop users that doing sysadmin stuff is
> time-consuming -- and still let coop users (of all skill levels) feel
> it is their coop and they can contribute

If you want an idea of time-consuming, subscribe to hcoop-sysadmin.

As for feeling like they can contribute ... I dunno.

> Portal Members data:
>        should include mailing address and other contacts Question:
>        should it include a member's Nick (alias) on Freenode #hcoop

Definitely.

> Initial membership, payment, non-payment
>
> 	Should include clear agreement between user and hcoop on
> 	procedure in case of accident, injury, death -- or non-payment
>
> 	e.g.
>
> 	The coop cannot sustain non-paying account. nagging warnings
> 	will be sent 30 (60, 90) days before a member's account
> 	reaches a 0 balance at which time all his/her sites, config
> 	etc. will be automatically shut-down and archived for a period
> 	of (X) days during which time the member is otherwise welcome
> 	to post, give feedback, download their files. -- or resume
> 	paid membership if other members agree
>
> 	The issue Nathan referred to as "occasional large bills" needs
> 	to be clarified, if possible. Can they be anticipated and
> 	spread over several months in advance?

I defer to Nathan.

> Features Attract Users
>          What are the features future hosting users seek? Is it blogs,
>          wikis. What else can the coop offer that people want?

Hrm.  It might be good to list some of that sort of thing on the front
page.  Getting wordpress and moinmoin with a single directive is pretty
cool.  It might be interesting to have more "canned web apps" like that.

> Ideas only, may be totally useless:
>
>       I hear talk of science experiments that link together idle
>       computers to do a project. Can any similar, voluntary linking
>       increase hcoop's computer power (securely)?

I doubt it.  We're going real-time response, not queuing jobs.

--
Michael Olson
HCoop System Administrator