[HCoop-Discuss] Recruitment and Fundraising

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Feb 23 14:05:04 EST 2008

Adam Chlipala wrote:
> Robert Ledger wrote:
>

>> Maybe we should start brainstorming ways to raise additional revenue
>> and recruit new members.
>>

> For now, I consider it unfortunate when a new member joins, because he
> will have to reconfigure all of his services on our new servers when
> they are ready.
>

>> 1. How about a competition with a years free membership as a prize for
>> the winner.
>>

> Is our mega-cheap service really so undesirable that we need gimmicks
> like this? :D
>

>> 2 How about having a paypal donate button for HCoop for any member
>> willing to use it on their sites?
>>
>> 3 How about an HCoop account with  Amazon for members to advertise
>> books on their sites, if they are willing?
>>
>> 4 How about an HCoop Adsense  account ditto?
>>

> The laws governing our corporate existence make it very difficult for us
> to accept any income besides member dues.  We have a percentage cap of
> around 20% on how much income can come from any source besides members.
> We really are not having any problems with financing, though, so no
> worries there.

It is actually 15%, and that limits receipts from sources other than
members, whether dues or donations.  If we exceed that threshold then we
lose tax-exempt status for that year, and we're also violating our
articles of incorporation.

Here's my position:
1. We are underutilizing our hardware right now, which is inefficient,
and we are relying on "pledges" to keep our dues down to the under $5
level; which also does not account for capital expenditures.  I think we
should continue to grow in a manageable fashion, and to the extent that
we can't cope with getting people online that points to weaknesses in
our structure.  Thinks like hcoop-help can improve on that.  It should
never be unfortunate when a new member joins.

2. While I support outreach efforts and promoting the "HCoop brand," I
do NOT want to see "Donate" buttons popping up.  HCoop is not a
charity.  Why should one member pay more just so other members can pay less?

3. I am somewhat against using conventional marketing tactics for
HCoop.  While I am all for listing HCoop in directories and other
targeted locations to make it easier for HCoop to find, as well as
referrals and even one-on-one member solicitations of people who look
like they can use our services, I don't want to see us putting out
keyword, banner, or popup ads, or anything of the sort.  Grassroots has
worked decently well for us in the past, as well as people just finding
us.  Once we start a "marketing budget" it will never end.  Let's save
that money for HCoop services, and let's not put ads on HCoop pages
either.  (Of course, members are free to put ads on their own pages and
collect money that way.)

(Although I did for a period of time put an ad on an alternative
webcomic page for HCoop some time ago at my own expense, but mostly
because I wanted to support the artist, who was selling space directly.
It netted a few hundred clickthroughs and one member, who has since left.)