[HCoop-Discuss] [docelic, ntk] Cracking down on negative balances

johnmachine johnmachine at tmail.com
Wed Feb 20 22:21:04 EST 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 7:42 pm, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> I want to make it clear that he's talking about me. ;-)
>
> I think the particular situations have to do with the fact that John
> doesn't want to have to learn basic Linux stuff, learn how to use
> Domtool, or both, to make effective use of an HCoop membership.  My
> position is that we don't have the resources yet to support members who
> aren't willing to do a little reading, and also that we clearly state
> on
> the front page of our main web site that some level of Linux/Internet
> expertise is assumed of members.  It's "assumed" and not "required,"
> but
> folks shouldn't expect official tech support on questions that your
> standard Linux aficionado would be able to answer.  (hcoop-help is a
> fine place for such questions, though.)

My problem was that I was happy with our setup dating back to Abulafia
when I joined in 2003.

It was then that we migrated to our new infrastructure that all of the
sudden I'm forced to learn afs ACL. Wasn't a big deal for my homedir,
but I had to rearrange part of my website structure and coding because I
could no longer simply set files as writeable. A minor pain in the ass.

After that, we upgrade to the new domtool. Now, the old domtool... I
liked that. Extremely simple. Except with the new one, I pretty much
have to learn a new programming language to use it. Granted I'm a
programmer and familiar with some languages, ML-based are completely
foreign to me. I wasn't interested in having to learn this, read
documentation, etc.

My point is, I have Linux and Internet experience. I've been using Linux
for years and furthermore, have completed college coursework for such.
Subsequently I've been using the Internet since I was young. I just
happen to not have experience with the aspects of our new systems, but I
had no choice but to learn them.

I'm not here to argue or bash the coop or our board. Adam does an insane
and sometimes uneccesary amount of work for us and I am in no way
ungrateful for this. I have no problem with him and wish no animosity; I
was just not happy with his seeming lack of understand and "our way or
the highway" responses I was given.

- JTS
John T. Settino
Linux System Admin /