[HCoop-Discuss] Misconcenptions about the deposit requirement

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Tue Feb 19 11:29:39 EST 2008

Nathan Kennedy wrote:

> Omry Yadan wrote:
>
>> You know, about that:
>> I currently forward all my hcoop emails to my own email address, and I
>> my hcoop email is a spam bait.
>> 90% of the spam I get is sent to that address.
>> it's so annoying that I am considering turning off this forwarding.
>> I don't get _anything_ useful sent to my hcoop email. I am easy enough
>> to find.
>> if hcoop isn't already - it should have an option for users to specify a
>> contact email address and not assume user at hcoop.net will work.
>>

> I have no idea why this would be the case.  A Google search for your
> yadan.net email address yields almost 1000 hits.  A search for your
> hcoop.net address yields zero.  If spammers have really found or
> brute-forced your @hcoop.net address or your @yadan.net address, there's
> no reason for that I can see, certainly nothing being done wrong on our
> end.  I get an inordinate amount of spam to my hcoop address myself,
> probably about 1/3 of it direct, 1/3 of it to my other addresses being
> forwarded, and 1/3 to other HCoop aliases that I receive mail on.
>
> That being said, it is not unreasonable of us to require you to read
> @hcoop.net emails anyway.  You can easily configure it to forward only
> emails from the @hcoop.net domain and delete or archive the rest.  Spam
> is not an excuse for not reading email at all.

Another point:
I will bet a gold piece that most AWOL users don't respond to emails
because the emails are not sent to the email address they check, but to
the hcoop email address.
having the real email adderss of such users (real = used on a day to day
basis) will greatly reduce the number of users that just vanishes and
can't be contacted.

    Omry.