[HCoop-Discuss] [docelic, ntk] Cracking down on negative balances

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Mon Feb 18 14:41:23 EST 2008

Adam Chlipala wrote:

> Omry Yadan wrote:
>
>> Booting people with zero balance is fine.
>> preventing service from people who have 3 months worth of payments is
>> not fine.
>> in my opinion, people should be notified when they balance is
>> approaching zero (several times, people have a tendency to think "I`ll
>> do that later" and then forget about it).
>> two weeks before the account reaches zero it should be frozen solid and
>> the user should not be able to do anything at all except pay to restore
>> his account.
>> if one month after the zero date the user have not paid his bill the
>> account should be booted and the user data removed from the system.
>> the user will be billed in full for that extra month if he choose to pay
>> the bills.
>>

> Are you suggesting that we amend our bylaws to let us boot people with
> zero balances, or do you really think it would work to give people 3
> months of owing us money, without any reason to believe that they'll pay
> us?  Our bylaws only let the board expel members whose balances have
> been negative for 3 months.

I am suggesting that we change the bylaws to have users with two weeks
worth of payment frozen and people with a negative balance for one month
booted.
to avoid lawsuits it might be a good idea to keep a backup of the user's
data (archived) for two more months (so the user can get his data back
up to 3 months of negative balance.
but since he will not be receiving service for that amount of time, he
will not be accumulating debt.
(assuming we don't have 10 of those every month the overhead of keeping
that backup would not effect our ability to provide service to active
members).

if a user is using the services of hcoop, he will act very quickly when
his account is frozen.
if he just left and didn't tell anyone he will not respond, and we will
lose one month worth of payments.

if we go that way, we should also define if a user can restore his
account after one month worth of negative balance or if he will only be
allowed to receive his data back (by paying what he owns hcoop).

    Omry.