[HCoop-Discuss] [HCoop-Announce] Mire back up

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Tue Feb 12 18:50:15 EST 2008

Michael Olson wrote:
> Our main webserver (mire) is back up and running.  The local root
> exploit has been fixed.  We also took this opportunity to:
>
>  - Make Linux recognize all 5GB of RAM.
>  - Tune some security options.
>  - Upgrade the kernel to a newer 2.6.23.y maintenance release.\

Awesome.  Mega kudos to all of you guys who worked on this.

A notable exception on this list to the contrary, I think most of us
realize that this kind of response time when everyone has other
full-time commitments is pretty outstanding.

P.S.: I still think hiring paid staff should be pretty high on our to-do
list, and this kind of incident underscores the benefits.  To me, those
benefits are definitely worth an even share of a reasonable full-time
sysadmin's salary.