[HCoop-Discuss] [HCoop-Announce] Mire back up

docelic docelic at mire.hcoop.net
Tue Feb 12 14:49:32 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 09:49:52AM -0800, Steve Johnson wrote:
> I hate to be a prick about this but,  mire was down 24 hours because
> of this?  Maybe we need to come up with a better way of dealing with
> mire being down.
>
> I don't know how others feel, but having my site down for 24 hours
> because of a config issue, is real annoying.

Your site was down due to this specific issue for about 12 hours.

In any case, you are oversimplifying things here - it is almost always
a matter of some kind of "config issue" here or there.

> And before you all start spatting on about how this is all volunteer,
> please don't.. That does not matter when people are paying money every
> month..

I wouldn't bring attention to the 'volunteer' aspect, but I would bring
attention to the non-profit aspect. While technically, you really are
'paying money' to HCoop, it is perfectly clear where the funds go and
how they are used.

Only with that in mind, can the sentence "when people are paying money
every month" be given the appropriate context.

> Yeah, so its only $5, but to have the server down 24 hours
> because of a simple config issue..  Not good.

First, I would appreciate if our willingness to disclose any and all
details regarding technical issues was not used back against us.

Second, I run my company website on Mire too.

Third, not long ago we posted a message on hcoop-sysadmin, asking for
system administrator volunteers who'd like to join the team to speak
up. No one did.

> How many servers do we have at hcoop?  Maybe one should be configured
> to act as a back up web or daemon server for when mire goes down for
> what ever reason.  That way instead of impacting the coop members
> ability to have their pages served, it would only impact shell access.

Yes, we could do something about this. Nathan Kennedy donated one
Mire-comparable machine to HCoop, and that machine is currently sitting
offline in our cabinet at Peer1.

And we have another machine, the old Abulafia, which should be used as
a shell server.

Our primary task at hand is to establish outpost.hcoop.net at the
Cernio tech center, to use as secondary DNS and monitoring station
on a different subnet.

After that is taken care of, I will coordinate with Nathan to set up
Abulafia as a shell server.

And after that, we might go into setting up Nathan's machine as a
redundant server for Mire. I wouldn't use it as a "stand by" server,
I'd put it in production by implementing simple round-robin DNS
method or similar.

See ya,
-doc