[HCoop-Discuss] domtool and rewrite rules.

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Feb 2 20:21:15 EST 2008

Steve Johnson wrote:
>> You might look at the setups of people who use apache proxyes.
>>
>> In the meantime, we might take on Adam's thread of introducing
>> changes to support this more straightforwardly.
>>

> I think a standard rewrite option should be supported.   Trust your
> users to do the right thing, do just assume they will take down the
> server every change they get.  I've been a network admin for 13 years
> now, and never have run into a NEXT loop in a rewrite rule.  But hey
> thats me.

I think you meant "don't just assume" there.  I definitely agree with
your experience as a network admin, but that is different from running a
service like shared hosting with a facility for users directly editing
Apache settings.

We have had problems with users taking down the server multiple times,
when we a third of the size that we are now, due to runaway scripts.
The bigger we get and the more users sharing a single Apache daemon, the
more chance there is for malformed directives if we allow them.  At the
same time, the greater the consequences of this kind of borkage become.

I'm not an apache admin but I've been here all along and I know that our
admins try hard to accomodate every need and to prevent disasters.
Please don't assume Davor was being flippant in suggesting that you ask
for help earlier.  In the "real world" I don't know of any hosts that
offer shared apache hosting with custom directives, free support, and
our prices either.  Nobody's getting rich off of this--nobody is even
getting paid.  :-)

I suggest you try the workarounds suggested--you can always run your own
webserver with mod_proxy.  Another option you won't typically find on
low-end commercial Linux shell webhosts.