[HCoop-Discuss] ByLaws change vote - 40 voters total?

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 11:59:35 EST 2008

On 02/02/2008, at 11:47 PM, Adam Chlipala wrote:

> Peter Gammie wrote:
>> was and am a bit wary about the undemocratic aspects of the new
>> bylaws, but - based on a month's membership and some reading of the
>> mailing list archives - I hope and believe that there is enough
>> goodwill in the HCoop community that abuse won't be an issue any time
>> soon.
>
> Which changes are you thinking of?  My impression is that
> "undemocratic
> aspects" have stayed largely the same, with the increase in board size
> unequivocally increasing "democracy."  Maybe folks just didn't think
> take the time before to understand our bylaws and notice that the
> board
> really had all the legal decision making power all along

My concern (that may or may not have made it onto this list in the
past) was that if, hypothetically, a majority of the board decides to
take a decision and not allow the minority to mount a counter-
argument, then things might turn sour. In this instance, by
"democracy" I meant "make the dissenters happier about their lot"; for
example by avoiding them being presented with a fait accompli.

cheers
peter