[HCoop-Discuss] Cables cut [all mideast/south asia members]

Narendra Prabhu. B naren at hcoop.net
Sat Feb 2 00:15:55 EST 2008

Hi,

> Are any of our members in India or the Middle East experience internet
> trouble?  From the news I understand that three major ocean cables have
> been cut and most connectivity to Europe is gone.  Are you having trouble
> getting to HCoop?

There wasn't any problem in accessing HCoop servers.

> I guess if you are you won't see this email.
>
> This points to a very long-range idea that it would be nice not just to
> build up at one datacenter but to have a server or two at various
> geographically disparate locations.  Having a VPS or colo server in
> California is a good start.  In the longer-term future it would be nice to
> set something up in Europe and Asia, especially as our overseas membership
> base expands.  (Most HCoop members have been outside of the USA for some
> time).

The collocation/bandwidth cost is a little steep in India, may be due to low
volume. If the prices reduce, I think we can think of having a server in
India too. Its also important for a few of HCoppers in India to volunteer
in HCoop proceedings, which sadly most of us are not able to do at this
point of time.

Regards,
Naren.