[HCoop-Discuss] Dynamic IP addresses

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Thu Apr 3 00:40:58 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I have been using everydns.net as a dynamic IP service for one of my
home machines, and a few days ago it stopped working for one of them for
an unknown reason.

I use that machine to receive email, and I was very unhappy with this.

past support requests to everydns were left un-answered, so I decided
not to wait this time and use hcoop as a dynamic ip service.

a shot investigation revealed that this have not been properly done
before (automatically), so I decided to write a few scripts that will
enable this.

basically, the idea is to have a client script on the machine need the
service make an http request with the appropriate parameters (ip
address, domain and authentication info) to a php script on the mire,
which will:

1. authenticate the request.

2. use a template file to fill up the missing bits (ip address, domain
name etc).

3. compare the filled up file to a file named ~/.domtool/<domain>, and
if the files are not identical:

3.1 save the new file, and run domtool on it.

client and server scripts are available here:

http://svn.firestats.cc/stuff/trunk/dns-update/

the README file provide installation instructions.

Enjoy.

    Omry.