[HCoop-Discuss] My hats

Graham Freeman graham.freeman at cernio.com
Mon Sep 17 15:52:50 EDT 2007

Folks,

Here's my take:

Nathan became busy with law school and possibly also frustrated with
Hcoop, and ended up being more flaky in a couple of situations than
he really should have.  Adam C. is correct that a little
communication goes a long way, and that it was unreasonable to make
an appointment to be at the datacenter, not show, and not communicate
about not showing.

However, I agree with Michael that this is being handled badly all
around, and I also think Nathan's frustration is justified.  It
doesn't help that Adam C. was making negative comments about Nathan
in public list traffic (with irrelevant subject lines) without first
communicating with him directly about the problem.   It also doesn't
help that Adam C. is quick to say negative things about an Hcoop
member's participation and slow to give positive feedback.  When
financial remuneration is unavailable, good vibes usually become the
major currency.  If Adam C. is to be successful in serving in a
leadership role in a cooperative venture, he *must* learn to be a
nicer person via electronic communications.

Finally, there seems to be an expectation that a "good" volunteer
will read all list traffic, watch all IRC conversations, etc.  That's
simply not practical for anyone with a busy schedule.   I think
someone suggested establishing pre-defined means of communicating
with a given volunteer - that's a great idea.  e.g. "I'm generally
available via direct email, sometimes available via IM, I try to read
email list traffic, and I will once in a while pop in to IRC, but for
anything time-sensitive please call me at +1 900 HOT-TECH."

thanks,

Graham