[HCoop-Discuss] [HCoop-Misc] name of new host

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Thu May 17 22:31:17 EDT 2007

Adam Chlipala wrote:
> Terrence Brannon wrote:

>>> If you care to donate another server for the co-op's use, you can feel
>>> free to name it as you please.  This issue was addressed long ago.
>>>

>> How was it addressed? You didn't answer my question. And, the naming
>> of fyodor was open to vote.
>>

> We had consensus on this list that the people donating hardware would be
> allowed to name it.  Only ray declined to do so, and ntk assigned his
> machine the name 'mire' based on a stand-out word from ray's e-mail that
> offered to donate the server.  I have a feeling that no majority of
> members dislikes any of the names enough now to want to bring on the
> disruption that comes from changing the hostname of an already-deployed
> UNIX machine.
All accurate except that Ray did not so much decline to name the server
as fail to respond.  The name mire was indeed a "stand-out" word from
his email in which he also suggested the appropriate recompense for the
donation, something involving annual chanting in the mire.  I intended
mire as a temporary name until he officially christened it, but he
didn't, so it "stuck" (appropriately enough).  Renaming mire was
suggested by myself but the consensus was to keep it.