[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Tue May 1 08:30:14 EDT 2007

rob at hcoop.net wrote:
> I will not pay any portion of this debt.  Please make note of that during
> my monthly contribution.  Many months ago I expressed my concerns with
> hcoop's financial situation in regards from switching away from Abu and
> Fyodor.  There needs to be some accountability here.

It is not an option for individual members to pick and choose which
co-op costs they are willing to pay for.  I understand that you may not
like all the choices that have been made and how everything was handled,
but there's no excuse for the attitude that you can pick in hindsight
what expenses you want to pay for.  There's no co-op or business in the
world that can stay solvent that way.

I guess you are proposing that we cancel the Peer1 project and have Adam
or someone pay off all the charges for you (I think Adam making the
offer to guarantee the back charges was a strategic mistake also), and I
guess we should sell the multithousands of dollars of equipment that
several of our members donated to the effort.

I would like to end this line of the discussion here and now.  I am open
to any discussions about how we will handle the migration and billing,
and to any criticism of performance so far, but the attitude that you
are not going to go along with past decisions already made with co-op
consensus is uncooperative and schismatic.  Everyone is going to get the
benefit of the new infrastructure, and everyone is going to pay a share
of it. I would say "their share of it," but that is not true given the
significant donations of time, money, and equipment that have been
made.  Even with the delay and back charges, members are getting a big
bargain here.

Let's show a little more sense of ownership here.