[HCoop-Discuss] SSL without warnings (ie X.509 v3)

Karl Chen quarl at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 16 02:08:33 EDT 2007

    Anders> I've investigated the murky depths of (Open)SSL and
    Anders> discovered how we can use a single SSL certificate for
    Anders> all hcoop hosted domains.

    Anders> X.509 version 3 allows a number of extensions, among
    Anders> those the most interesting one is subjectAltName, it
    Anders> allows you to specify a list of names (not only
    Anders> hostnames) the certificate is valid for.

[Extremely delayed reply] I'm now successfully using a
CAcert-signed certificate with subjectAltName for multiple
virtual-hosted domains on my own apache server.  Works on FireFox,
MSIE, Subversion (libapr), etc.

I think it would be reasonable for HCoop to support
subjectAltName via Domtool.

BTW, the default SSL virtual name-based host, e.g.
https://hcoop.net, https://64.20.38.170/, etc. is currently a
website for "International Human Rights Organisation"; perhaps we
should create a :443 vhost default, for unknown ServerNames,
making sure this vhost is listed in the configuration before any
other :443 vhost, with one of these options:
    - same as http://hcoop.net
    - redirect to http://hcoop.net
    - redirect to https://members.hcoop.net
    - error message or empty page

An additional option would be to also have a vhost for
https://hcoop.net that's different from the default.

--
Karl 2007-03-15 22:54