[HCoop-Discuss] useful reading

Michael Potter mpotter at hcoop.net
Tue Jun 5 16:54:45 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 06:16:58PM +0000, j.c.hallgren at juno.com wrote:
> My perspective is (and has been) that we are having to have a much
> larger fixed cost due to the heavy users requirements and thus that
> usage has an impact, (maybe slight), on the smallest users...yes, we
> need more disk and bandwidth to handle growth, but a heavy new user
> may take as much resources as 5 or 10 more typical users, so...not
> sure how best to handle the issue...other than maybe have some
> surcharge for members who use some multiples (10x or more?) of the
> "normal" member...

This is partly what I was getting at. There will always be differences
in usage and it's a waste of time to try to lock it down or bean-count
to the last buck. However, if we need to put in another disk, it's
very unlikely a user like me will be the cause of it. Should I then
contribute anything for the new disk? If that only costs $5-10 per
member, it's hard to complain, but then a few people are getting a
majority to pay for hardware just for their use.

So, if there's a disk expansion in the future, or we need to bump up
the bandwidth, then I'd like to check the spread of usage at that
time. If less than 10% of the group, or especially less than 5%, are
using most of the extra resources, I think it's fair that the small
percentage pay for the upgrade and the member base not be charged.

--
Michael Potter
mpotter at hcoop.net