[HCoop-Discuss] Membership freeze?

Terrence Brannon metaperl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 01:14:44 EDT 2007

On 5/13/07, Davor Ocelic <docelic at hcoop.net> wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 07:36:13PM -0400, Terrence Brannon wrote:
> > On 5/12/07, Michael Potter <mpotter at hcoop.net> wrote:
> >

> > > You could give new members a choice:
> > >
> > > 1.  Wait until the new systems are production-ready.
> > > 2.  Get an 'as is' account on the new systems only with no service guarantee.
> > >
> > > If this is impractical because the migration procedure only handles
> > > users who are on Fyodor, a freeze may be the best solution.
> > >

> > I second Michael Potter's strategy. We don't want to dampen new user
> > spirits if at all possible. However, we dont want our workers working
> > on something that is being phased out.
>
> I don't see why the complication. We had the freeze at time when
> we were moving to fyodor, and noone complained. In fact, it all
> went well and we didn't see any drawbacks to freezing.

>From what I can see, this migration is different from that one. We are
changing file systems. We have more users with possibly more issues to
deal with. No one wrote to the list begging for money for their failed
efforts.
And from a managerial perspective, this new migration is taking much
longer and has backfired on itself many more times.

So you argument about things going well with a small migration with a
few people to a similar setup are moot in light of the current
project. It's comparing apples to oranges.

--
HIV/AIDS on trial - http://www.aliveandwell.org/
Let's play chess: http://www.SlowChess.com