[HCoop-Discuss] Revised answers to interview questions

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Sun Feb 25 10:15:27 EST 2007

"j.c.hallgren at juno.com" <j.c.hallgren at juno.com> writes:

> One minor point: In this reply, "he should follow the directions" is
> not gender neutral, so "they" or "he/she" would be better, as we
> don't want to say that we are a male only outfit, right?  I didn't
> notice any other similar, but that was the one that now caught my
> eye.

He is the traditional gender neutral in English, but using she is also
correct nowadays. He/she is terribly incorrect, and they should be
limited to conversational speech.

The style I follow is using my gender, but many people like to
alternate between he and she between paragraphs (assuming that the
object being referred to has changed; if not the gender should remain
the same to avoid confusion naturally).

Since there is only one use here, if anyone cares "he or she" could be
used instead. It includes both genders while avoiding dangerous
90s-style-political-correctness land. A perfect balance between proper
grammar and making everyone happy!

> -- Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:
> Here are my revisions to the interview answers I posted earlier, based
> on feedback so far.  I still plan to send off the official answers by
> early Monday.
>
> => 5.) Is there anything else you would like to add? :-)
>
> First, that all of the answers I've given here should be findable on our
> web site/wiki by interested potential members.  If anyone has any
> questions left after poking around starting at http://hcoop.net/ , he
> should follow the directions in our prospective member FAQ there for
> letting us know, so that we can include answers for future visitors'
> benefit!

If nothing in the world can change our children will inherit nothing