[HCoop-Discuss] Joining Cernio

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sat Dec 29 13:55:11 EST 2007

I'm thinking ATM that HCoop should join Cernio (http://www.cernio.com/)
and get a virtual private server there, for backup DNS and e-mail and
remote monitoring of our main servers.  This would require a $300
purchase of a share in their cooperative, with the option to spread that
payment out over up to 6 years.  I'm thinking it would make sense to
start with the minimum payment of $60 for one year, and then pay the
full remaining amount the next year if all has gone well.  Even paying
the full fee up front, it would come to $1.60 per member with a pledge
amount of 1, at current HCoop membership.

As a Cernio member, we would be able to take advantage of the VPS
services described here:
    http://cernio.com/virtual-private-servers
It would probably make sense to start at the cheapest plan, which is
$15/mo., or 8 cents per pledge-1 member per month, at current membership
levels.  We could upgrade later to any of the other plans fairly easily,
with a few hours downtime at worst.

So, any objections to my suggestions?  It would be nice to get ntk's
input on this, but he's away now, and I'm getting impatient with the
semi-arbitrary distributed foot dragging on this matter.  I'd like to
get the process started if docelic votes to continue as well.

 From frank's helpful description of the legal issues on hcoop-sysadmin,
it sounds like we would want to appoint an HCoop liaison to Cernio.
This person would subscribe to the relevant Cernio mailing lists and be
responsible for keeping HCoopers informed of relevant Cernio goings-on
and vice versa.  He would also cast HCoop's votes in Cernio elections,
probably just relaying the results of HCoop board votes, though the
details of this are open to discussion.  I can't think of anything else
that I'd expect this person to do, so it would probably be a pretty
light load for someone who checks e-mail regularly.  Would anyone like
to volunteer for the job?