[HCoop-Discuss] DNS issues

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Wed Dec 19 21:54:32 EST 2007

Jeff Basham wrote:
> Hi Doc -
> Earlier today, Adam said on this list that ns3 is not available for
> customer use, and we all should use only ns1.  Hence, my email that
> you replied to. So who is correct?  Are the admins talking to eachother?

I think it's kind of disingenuous to ask that kind of question about
volunteers.  We're doing our best and may have communication problems
from time to time.  I'm pushing getting some paid staff as soon as we
are technically stable on our new servers with all old members moved
over, but for now your dues don't entitle you to any claim on the time
of admins, unfortunately.

Here's my statement on this issue: Of course it's been our intention all
along to have two nameservers available for member domains, and those
are meant to be [ns1|ns3].hcoop.net.  (Having two nameservers on
different subnets is another issue altogether, which we didn't realize
was as critical as we've now realized it is, due to finicky registrars,
so this is on our to-do list.)  It is a bug, not a fantastic admin
oversight, that the secondary nameserver isn't picking up changes from
the primary nameserver right now.  I expect we'll get to it in the next
few days, due to our various full-time jobs, etc..