[HCoop-Discuss] RAM upgrade on Mire

docelic at hcoop.net docelic at hcoop.net
Wed Dec 12 16:47:06 EST 2007

Hello folks,

Some time ago, we were discussing RAM upgrade on Mire.

We can go up to 4 GB (from the current 1 GB) and I think
now, before the migration from the old server is completed,
it is the best time to introduce a short downtime during
weekend to 1) Upgrade RAM and 2) Install a new Mire kernel.

Installing the new Mire kernel will be a "by the way" operation,
so I'd like to focus on the RAM upgrade here.

We've received an offer from one of our members to donate 1 GB,
and there were also plans for buying 2 GB ourselves, for a
maximum total of 4 GB.

Let's give this another round of discussion and reach a
consensus. If someone could provide a pointer in our lists
archive to the previous thread on the topic, that would
be very useful.

Basically, my aim here is to:

 - reach agreement on getting new RAM
 - decide how much we want (my suggestion is full 3 GB for a total of 4)
 - decide whether we accept 1 GB donation (if the offer
   is still "in")
 - decide where do we buy part or all of new RAM
   (direct links were given in previuos thread on the topic,
   we only need to dig it up)

Thanks,
-doc